According to a statement attributed to Alexander von Humboldt, Passau is referred to as one of the seven most beautiful towns of the world. Passau is spectacularly located at the confluence of three rivers, one of them being the Danube, the second longest of Europe. The town itself in its present appearance is characterized by medieval, narrow allies and cobblestone streets, with buildings mixed in Gothic and 17 th century Italian Renaissance style that have earned the town the epithet "Bavarian Venice."
Passau looks back to more than 2000 years of history:
In 739 Passau was already an episcopal see. It was presumably during the 12th Century, that Bishop Wolfger ordered to have the verses of the Nibelungenlied transcribed into German. This is why Passau calls itself a "Nibelungenstadt." In 1217 Passau was named the capital of the largest areal Princebishoprics. Passau's Cathedral is the mother church of the St. Stephan's Cathedral in Vienna. The period of Princebishops lasted in Passau until 1803, when it became an electorate of Bavaria.
Regular online registration:
March 4th - April 12th 2010
University of Passau